Our Story

Our History

Timaru Golf Club has a proud history dating back to 1894, when the Club was established at Cain’s Paddock, an open area between North Street and Hassall Street.

As competing demands grew for the recreational use of the land, the Club relocated to Highfield in 1904. By 1912, adjoining land had been purchased, allowing a permanent golf course to be developed.

By the early 1950s, increasingly boggy conditions, rising rates, surrounding urban development and concerns that the land could eventually be required for housing prompted the Club to begin searching for a new home.

In June 1957, the Club purchased 94 acres near Levels Airport. Through an enormous amount of work and commitment from Club members, the land was gradually transformed into the course we know today.

The new course was originally to be called Kotuku, after two white herons were found on the property. Although the name was later changed to Timaru Golf Club, the Kotuku (white heron) remained and continues to be the Club’s emblem.

The new course and clubhouse were officially opened on 10 October 1959.

Since then, the course has continued to evolve. Significant improvements have included the addition of two lakes and a state-of-the-art irrigation system, helping Timaru Golf Club provide a high-quality playing surface throughout the year.

More than 130 years after the Club was first established, Timaru Golf Club continues to build on the work and vision of the generations of members who came before us.